Recipe provided by Infused Eats with Matthew Lamb
Prep: 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Yields: 12 Rolls
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 tablespoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 cup vegetable oil
3 cups flour (2/3 cup wheat + 2 1/3 cup unbleached white)
1/2 oz cannabis flour
3 sticks butter
Brown sugar cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts/ pecans (optional)
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
PART 1: MAKE CANNABUTTER
1. Place 1/2 oz cannabis, ground fine, stems and seeds removed on a baking sheet with some parchment paper beneath it. (Pre-crease your parchment for easier handling.) Bake in an oven on 225•F for 1 hour and 50 minutes.
2. Clarify the butter by heating on medium heat and scooping out the white milk solids that float to the top with a spoon. Remove and heat until the butter is a clear golden oil and is reduced to about 1 cup.
3. Place the clarified butter and the decarboxylated cannabis into a bowl over a double boiler with water boiling at a medium boil. Infuse for at least 30 minutes. (You can start the dough recipe now as well)
4. Strain the butter from the cannabis with a metal strainer or cheesecloth and let cool to room temperature.
PART 2: MAKE DOUGH
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then stir in the yeast. Allow to proof until yeast reacts into a creamy foam.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour a little at a time beginning with the wheat flour. Hold back about 1/2 cup of flour for adding during kneading. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. About 5 - 8 minutes. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour or so.
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and let it rest for a few minutes under an inverted bowl.
PART 3: MAKE FILLING
1. Mix the brown sugar, nuts (If desired), cinnamon and infused butter in a bowl until combined and smoothing, set aside.
PART 4: PREPARE ROLLS
1. Shape the rested dough into a rectangle about 13” X 9”. (Use a cutting board as a guide.) Sprinkle the surface of the dough lightly with cinnamon.
2. Then spread the sugar/butter mixture as evenly as possible across the entire surface of the dough leaving a little space along one long end clean to seal it.
3. Roll the dough lengthwise into a tube. Wet your fingers with water and seal the exposed end, laying it on top of the roll and sealing it. Cut the roll in half lengthwise, then once again so it is 4 pieces. Then cut each section into 3 equal pieces trimming the last bits of each end as waste if desired. Form the pieces into oval or circles and place them at a slight angle to fit them into a 11” X 9“ pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes. When the tops are golden brown remove them from the oven and make the icing right away if adding it.
PART 5: ICING (OPTIONAL)
1. To make the icing take about 2 cups of powdered sugar and whisk in just enough cold water to make a drizzle. Drizzle as desired, let cool till a little warm, serve and enjoy.